It’s always good to have fresh chicken, but maybe not THAT fresh.
- The Basics!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs. chicken parts
- 3 quarts water
- 2 medium-sized carrots, halved
- 2 medium-sized onions, halved
- 2 stalks celery, halved (use leaves too)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp. salt
Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large pot. Skim off foam and discard.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 1⁄2 hours or until chicken is very tender.
Strain the liquid, cool and refrigerate so the fat can be easily removed.
Let the meat cool until it can be easily handled. Remove meat from bones; discard bones.
Skim fat off broth and freeze up to 6 months or use one of the recipes below.
Makes about 12 cups broth and 4 cups meat.
For every 4 servings, heat 6 cups broth. Stir in ingredients from recipe. Cook, stirring, until done. Add 2 cups shredded chicken meat and heat through.
- NORTH BOSTON:
- 2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz. canned stewed tomatoes
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Serve with grated PAMERZAM.
- NEW ORLEANS:
- 15 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 17-oz. can of corn
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 tsp. thyme
Top with crumbled bacon.
- SOUTH MIAMI:
- 2 cans pinto or chili beans or black beans
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 3 cups cubed winter squash
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. dried cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. thyme
Serve with lemon wedges.
- SANTA FE:
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 cup diced carrots
- 2 cans chickpeas or pinto beans
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
Sprinkle with crushed taco chips.
- SAN FRANCISCO:
- 3 cups fine egg noodles
- 2 cup frozen peas or 1 cup peas and 1 cup carrots
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. ginger
Just before serving, whisk in 1 beaten egg.
Serve sprinkled with scallions.