Yeah. Chickens have balls.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. raw chicken
- 2 tbsp. bacon fat or lard
- Dash or two of ghost pepper salt or something else for some heat: A splash of Tabasco or some other hot sauce, whatever you like
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- Other seasonings you like: Lemon pepper, chili powder, oregano, garlic, whatever
- Spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 envelope unflavored gelatin
Preheat oven to 350°.
Grind up the chicken and onion together; put in a large mixing bowl.
Stir the gelatin into the egg.
Add the egg, breadcrumbs, lard and other seasonings; knead together, form into meatballs and place on a nonstick cookie sheet or baking pan.
Wherefore Art Thou Lard?
The lard is included because although the ground chicken is really wet and mushy, it will cook up pretty dry. If you don’t have or like bacon or lard, you can try Crisco, olive oil, milk, salsa — something to add some moisture for cooking.
You’ll have to experiment a bit to find the ratio of moisture to mushiness that suits you. They won’t be very round; they usually flatten out some so they’re shaped more like tortoise shells.
Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Remove from the cookie sheet with a spatula rather than tongs or you’re likely to tear them apart.
Serve with spaghetti and spaghetti sauce!