Now you can yell “BAM!” while you’re cooking without blowing up your microwave!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp. minced garlic)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 lbs. peeled, fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz. ) can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. butter
Heat oil in a large, deep pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4–5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and continue to cook, stirring, for one minute or until fragrant.
Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until it coats all the onions (about 1 minute).
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, sugar, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves.
Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and simmer, partially covered, for at least an hour or up to three hours. Stir occasionally. Make sure the sauce isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan. Adjust heat if necessary.
Carefully remove bay leaf and stir in butter, basil, and parsley until butter is melted.
Taste, season with salt and pepper, and serve.