WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that smoking baked beans is awesome for your taste buds.
- 1⁄2 lb. bacon
- 1⁄2 lb. ground beef
- 1 large chopped sweet onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp. ground mustard
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 1⁄2 tsp. California seasoned pepper*
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ancho *
- 1⁄2 tsp. BBQ 3000*
- 1⁄4 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika*
- 2 15-oz. cans pork and beans
- 2 15-oz. cans of some other beans (drained and rinsed)
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp and set aside; reserve 2 tbsp. of the bacon fat.
Add the meat to the skillet and cook until nicely browned. Remove meat to a bowl.
Add the reserved bacon fat, onion, jalapeño, and bell peppers to the skillet; cook until slightly browned and softened.
Add brown sugar, BBQ sauce, mustard powder, and molasses, and mix well.
Stir in remaining spices.
Combine all ingredients in a 3‑quart covered, greased casserole dish and cook at 350° for an hour.
*Spices available at Penzey’s.