Half-naked comedian sold separately.
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 70 oz. Italian-style tomatoes (about 4 1⁄2 16-oz. cans or 3 24-oz. cans)
- 24 oz. tomato paste
- 1 cup water
Use a large nonstick Dutch oven or stock pot.
Did I say nonstick? Good, because if you don’t use a good nonstick pot, you’ll burn your sauce.
Sautée sausage and beef, drain fat off and rinse briefly with hot water.
Add garlic and onion; stir over low heat.
Add sugar, salt, pepper and parsley.
Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 cup water. If the tomatoes are whole, squeeze them with your fingers and break them up, removing the stems and other icky fibrous parts.
Simmer on very low heat for 90 minutes, stirring frequently.