Cavatappi: The pasta for adults.
- 3 cups Cavatappi, uncooked
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, drained
- 1⁄4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1⁄8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 cup 5‑cheese blend (any cheese or blend you like is fine. I like Kraft’s blend of mozzarella, provolone, Romano, Asiago and PAMERZAM!)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
Cook pasta in large saucepan.
Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp. Save 1 tbsp. of the bacon fat.
Add onions to reserved bacon fat; cook and stir on medium heat 5 min. Stir in garlic; cook 1 min. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and crushed pepper; simmer 5 to 6 min. or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Drain pasta; return to pan. Crumble bacon. Add to pasta with sauce; toss to coat. Spoon onto platter; top with cheese and basil.