- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 large carrot, cut into chunks (about 3⁄4 cup )
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup )
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup )
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans great northern beans, drained
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
In large dutch oven, fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let cool, chop, and set aside.
Over medium heat, add carrot to the pan drippings in the dutch oven and sautée for 5 minutes.
Add the celery, onion, and garlic, stirring well and cooking for 3 minutes. Add the beans and 2 cups water.
Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Uncover, and with a potato masher, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly. Stir in the parsley, salt, pepper, and bacon.
Makes 4–6 servings.